International Business Entrepreneurship and Social Development Internship, South Africa
All the greatest countries in the word have a culture of entrepreneurship, it changes lives by stimulating economic growth and development. This Internship looks to support and incubate local entrepreneurs, helping them learn and ultimately establish small to medium business start-ups. When successful, their inovation improves standards of living and job creation growth.
Entrepreneurs play a significant and important role in the expansion and development of the South African economy.
By working as a team to empower local community members at a grass root level, it is possible to bring social change, improve food security and, in turn, reduce poverty and lack of education. Our mentors will encourage you to grow and step out of your comfort zone while providing you with the new insight and skills needed to immerse yourself into different cultures.
As an intern, you will join us in the Limpopo region, which has the highest unemployment rate in South Africa; this is largely due to a lack of education and positive motivation. Working in a results-driven environment, you will learn about establishing and running businesses in the varied and challenging African business landscape. You will be part of a dedicated team who are focused on supporting community members take on the challenge of learning how to provide for themselves, their families and their greater communities. Each individual is unique, as are their business ideas, and in order to ensure success, there is a great deal of support required. From theoretical approaches to practical application, everything must be taught. You may be helping with a variety of tasks including CV writing, business plans, human resources, financial forecasting, practical work, marketing, and sales. You will be an essential part of helping establish successful and sustainable businesses.
- African business - Get to know, understand and gain an appreciation of the African business landscape and the complexities faced by local entrepreneurs.
- Economic Development - Work side-by-side with community members in various aspects of their businesses. In partnership with Farmers of the Future, spend time working in the gardens, helping develop efficient and profitable outputs while getting your hands dirty.
- Business Education - Theoretical business can be learnt in a classroom, but practical application cements and develops this learning. Here we combine the two simultaneously to give the essential tools to get started.
- Location Live in the heart of the South African bush, surrounded by wildlife
- Learning Takeaway Gain exposure to communication strategies and project management practices, all of which are essential skills in the world of the modern professional.
- Learning Experience Empower youth who are taking on the challenge of learning how to provide for themselves, their families and their greater communities
- Free Time Head out on safari in the world-famous Kruger National Park
During your internship, you will stay at our program base in the Greater Kruger Area of South Africa, a wildlife hotspot situated just 45-minutes from the world-famous Kruger National Park. Surrounded by game reserves, the spacious thatched lodge boasts a large swimming pool and is situated on 18 hectares of land. This beautiful landscape serves as home to impala, warthog, bush pig, nyala and a great diversity of birdlife. Here can you dine, relax and socialise with fellow interns, volunteers and staff.
Your Internship assignments will be modified around your skills and professional development goals, ensuring the best possible outcome for both you and the local community.
Included in the internships is a Personal Development Coach and Monitoring and Evaluation Intern specialist who will help guide you every step of the way. Your placement will involve a comprehensive induction, a workshop on expectations and detailed goal setting.
In your role, you will gain exposure to communication strategies and project management practices, all of which are essential skills in the world of the modern professional. Although based in Africa, many of key the methodologies and practices you will learn are relevant on a global scale.
Get your hands dirty in the gardens of Farmers of the Future and help plan and deliver interactive workshops on various topics. Feel the immense pride of supporting individuals, and South Africa’s economic future.
Your monitoring and evaluation duties will allow us to scrutinize our impact against our interventions and ensure that our strategies remain informed and relevant.
- Week 1
Your first week will be dedicated to your orientation and induction where you will gain an in-depth understanding of the structure of your internship.
- Further Weeks
Following weeks will be tailored to you and structured around time within the community, reflection sessions, time with your mentor, and planning and preparation.
This internship runs all year round.
During your internship, you will stay at our program base within the Greater Kruger Area – a spacious thatched lodge boasting a large swimming pool and situated on 18 hectares of land. This beautiful landscape serves as home to impala, warthog, bush pig, nyala and a great diversity of birdlife. Here can you dine, relax and socialise. We don’t know of a better place to sit around a campfire and admire the stars!
The nearest town is Hoedspruit, a 30-minute drive from our lodge. We do a weekly town trip on Fridays to visit the supermarkets and souvenir shops, where you can spend some time relaxing with a cup of coffee or an ice-cream.
Logistics included and provided by African Impact are:
- Participants will be collected from the airport upon arrival and transferred to base
- Accommodation is based in our lodge, with simple, but comfortable shared rooms with communal ablutions
- All meals for the duration of the project, with the exception of free days will be provided
- Any transport required for program activities will be provided
- Participants will be transferred back to the airport for their departure
- You will have access to African Impact’s 24-hour support team, meeting and working with them on a daily basis.